Tuesday, November 4 #NaBloPoMo Propt:

NaBloPoMo_1114_465x287_NOV_0

What is your favorite holiday memory?

Okay, so I’m going to deviate a bit from the prompt just a bit. Last year’s Thanksgiving will probably go down as one of the most memorable Thanksgivings EVER. Why so memorable?  Well, we had about 3 weeks to get our house ready to be placed on the market and have our family of five packed to make the move from Illinois to South Carolina. My husband’s job was relocating us, and they needed him to start work ASAP here in South Carolina.

IL Home

The packers came and packed up all our belongings on Saturday (the weekend before Thanksgiving), and then they loaded everything up Monday. And just like that…. just as autumn gives way to new colors and the chill in the air, our lives were open to our next chapter as a family. That night we all loaded up in our truck with all that would fit into our little trailer, hoping these items would hold us over until we would see all our belongings once again.

Boxing up and moving out

We drove into Kentucky, where we had reservations at the Sheraton Hotel, we decided we would make the trip to South Carolina, a little more entertaining rather than just a drive.  The five of us knew we wanted to visit the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory, we’re a softball/baseball lovin’ family.

Trip to Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory

The Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory was cool, we all “had a ball” there 🙂 .  Everyone gets a free mini Louisville Slugger bat after the tour of the factory, and, no, you cannot take pictures inside the factory.

This is happening!! @LouisvilleSlugger factory #baseball #Kentucky

A photo posted by Mrs.AOK (@mrs_aok) on

Side note* Louisville Kentucky is delightful, the people there are SO warm. While we were there for *only two days we were invited to a Holiday event 🙂 true story!

Due to the weather we decided to stay an extra day in Louisville, which we didn’t mind at all. We were able to walk around the city, enjoy the comfy beds, and again, the people were awesome especially the staff at our hotel.

Out Trip to Kentucky {Thanksgiving}Another Side Note* My husband participates in Movember, he doesn’t always rock the Earl-look 🙂

On The Road Again

We wanted to make it in time to celebrate some sort of Thanksgiving with the kids in our corporate housing, but we were unsure if that was even possible, considering we stayed an extra day in Kentucky.  We drove from Kentucky to South Carolina singing Christmas carols and talking about what our dream Thanksgiving menus would look like.  We knew our Thanksgiving was looking like Pizza.

We drove into South Carolina around 7:30ish, we hadn’t even had the time to pick up anything to make for the kids. Nothing looked opened, the city was a ghost town.  My husband looked online for restaurants near us, opened on THANKSGIVING.

Waffle House Thanksgiving

We ate Waffle House for Thanksgiving 2013.  My husband found an open Waffle House, and brought back waffles, eggs, sausages, and bacon.  The kids are campaigning once again for a Waffle-House-Style Thanksgiving, I guess it is pretty safe to say that last Thanksgiving is already impacting future Thanksgivings. They have only had Waffle House once in their lives 🙂

*********************

UPDATE: We’ve made a decision we’re going to have Waffle House for breakfast 🙂  We’re making a *somewhat traditional Thanksgiving feast, but we’re putting a Greek spin on it 🙂  Happy Thanksgiving!!!

What was your most memorable Holiday?

© 2014, MrsA0K2001. All rights reserved.

20 Responses to Traveling Thanksgiving, Louisville, & The Waffle House #NaBloPoMo

1. Chastity says:

Aww, you guys look like you had the greatest time! My kids would love an extra day in a hotel and visiting the Louisville Slugger museum. Last year was our first Thanksgiving alone as a family of 5 and we celebrated it with lobster. My husband doesn’t like turkey so we went for it. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year too! xoxo

We figured we had to make the best of things, I’m glad we did. My kids are becoming hotel-lovers, we’ve been traveling a bit more lately 🙂 You’re a baseball Mommy, right? I think if you’re a baseball lover or have a baseball lover, they will enjoy this visit.

Oh la la la lobster!! I think as long as you have family & food, Thanksgiving can be whatever you want it to be ♡
      We do not have a traditional Christmas dinner at all, Christmas is about fun here at my house, so it’s low-key and games galore 🙂
      Wishing you and your family a fancy Thanksgiving ♡
      XOXO

2. Girlllll, you know you’re in the South when you come across a Waffle House. The are nearly off every exit here in Georgia. Love them! Ack…Derek Jeter, I might still have a celebrity crush on him. I used to love that man when I was younger. Even though that’s only a wax (maybe not?) figure of him, I’d still be excited to stand by it, lol!

When I was looking for a Waffle House image, I saw that they are opening up a museum there in Atlanta 🙂 That’s serious.
      Ha Ha– I took that picture of Derek Jeter and I especially for my Derek-Jeter-loving sister 😀
      XOXO

3. Bev says:

Aww, it sounds like you all had a fun time celebrating and got in lots of great family time! And who knows, this could be a fun family tradition? Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I look forward to celebrating it as a mom this year 🙂

I have such a soft spot for Thanksgiving, it evokes such happy warm thoughts. It’s almost the calm before the storm, not that the other Holidays are stormy, but it all feels like a whirlwind that I’m continuing trying to keep up with.
      Maybe I can Waffle House my Thanksgiving with Waffle House type flavors, or make pumpkin waffles, and sage sausage, hmmm… we’ll see.
      XOXO

4. shelly says:

NaBloPoMo! HAHAHA! I didn’t know this was a thing and I think it’s quite cute! I’ll have to join in next year! My husband does NaNoWriMo so we can co-write. 😉 I love your Thanksgiving memories from last year and I think it’s hilarious that they want waffles this year! The photo of your daughter sleeping is heart melting by the way. <3

It’s a funny name, right? I have to say it slowly.
      I think that would be cute for you and your honey to co-write 🙂 What types of stories does he write, if you don’t mind me asking?

The kids are quite serious about this waffle thing, perhaps I’ll Thanksgivingify waffles and sausage for them, we shall see 🙂

Thank you! Isn’t that picture precious, I took like four of them, because she looked SO content and adorable, I’m glad I have that moment trapped in time. Especially because tomorrow she’s already turning NINE on me 🙁 :::sobs:::
      XOXO

5. Tiffany says:

So fun and definitely a memoery to keep! I would road trip with you guys anytime! My Kiddies LOVE Waffle House but unfortunately I’m an IHOP Girl all the way…LMBO

The more the merrier! We’d love to have you 🙂
      I love a good breakfast spot, I like to look for little Mom & Pop’s type spots. We use to go to a place called Blueberry Pancake House back home, loved it!
      XOXO

6. Tamara says:

I have only had Waffle House once in my life and I swear.. I got sick. And the waitress said, “Kraft” when I asked her what kind of cheese they had. Yes, but what kind???
    It wasn’t in South Carolina, though.
    What a memory here! And I chuckled about Movember.

LMBO!! That is hilarious 🙂
      Back home, Texas, you may hear this while ordering a drink, “What kind of coke would you like?”
      My husband likes to get creative with his facial hair during Movemeber 🙂
      XOXO

7. Shelly says:

That sounded like a fun roadrip. I think little deviations from the norm are what kids remember and treasure the most. What a fun story that will be to tell someday!

I love Thanksgiving. Sometimes it lands on our anniversary 🙂

It was a fun road trip, we had such a good time. I never thought I would fall in love with Kentucky, but it happened 🙂 The people there are incredibly warm and inviting, what’s not to like about that, right?

I’m a Thanksgiving fan too. Happy (almost) anniversary 🙂
      XOXO

8. Raquel says:

Oh wow! That must have been tough but it looks like you all had a great time! I have never been to a Waffle House but it is on my list to check out. We ate at a Bobs Big Boy once when were were in Nevada on Thanksgiving. Stopping by from the SITS party.

It was tough, because we were leaving the home my children have only really ever known. However, we made the best of things…. we still are 🙂
      I’ve only been to Waffle House twice, and I’ll have to put Bob’s Big Boy on my list.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      XOXO

9. Ok when we road trip which is about twice a year, the kids 17 and 12 ask are we heading South / South East…. Is there a possibility of a Waffle House!!! To funny.

Also each year we celebrate our wedding anniversary with KFC. Long story short we eloped in Egypt and splurged on KFC, western food is expensive, so every year it is a bucket of KFC! Love you new Thanksgiving tradition!!!!

There are plenty Waffle Houses down south and here in the South East 🙂

I didn’t get the whole story, but I LOVE what I got!
      First off, eloping in Egypt!!-Awesome. Second off the KFC is adorable 🙂
      My husband and I married young, had our first child young, so we were always low on funds, our special treat was Wendy’s 🙂
      XOXO